Providing education and support to deliver better outcomes for children and families in permanent care and adoption

Parenting Again

Kinship Care Services

The Department of Human Services offers support and services to Kinship Carers.  Attached is the kkkile

Children Youth and Families Department of Human Services provides information on programs such as Adoption, Child Protection, Placement & Support, Family Services, Family Violence, Sexual Assault, Youth Justice and Youth Services.

Kinship Carers Victoria (KCV) is the peak body for all kinship carers. KCV's role is to link individual kinship carer groups across the State for mutual benefit, and promote greater community awareness of kinship families. KCV provides advice to government, organisations and the community to improve support available for children in kinship care. Contact Anne McLeish on email: or Tel: 03 9372 2422

Centrelink Parenting payment to assist with the cost of caring for a child/children. 

Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) Information for carers and parents about early childhood services 0-8 year olds.

Department of Education Information for parents with school aged children including financial support.

Office of the Child Safety Commissioner provides advise to both the Minister for Community Services and the Minister for Children on issues impacting on the lives of children, particularly vulnerable children.

Ombudsman report into kinship care payment is an investigation into the financial support provided to kinship carers.  This report was published in December 2017.

Kinship care manual  provides kinship carers a tool to assist navigation through the child protection system.  The manual provides information about child protection processes, financial and other support available to carers and and the children and young people in care.  The manual was developed in consultation with Kinship Carers Victoria, the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare, the Commission for Children and Young People,the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency, Victorian Government staff, kinship care service providers and kinship carers.


Support Organisations

Mirabel Foundation assists children 0-17, who have been orphaned or abandoned due to parents' illicit drug use and are now in the care of extended family or friends (kinship care). Mirabel provides advocacy, referrals and support to the children and their carers.

CREATE Foundation is the peak body for children and young people in care, providing support, information, advocacy, activities and opportunities.

CLAN Care Leavers Australia Network is a support and advocacy group for people brought up in care away from their family as state wards in foster care, children's homes, orphanages or other institutions. CLAN is also for anyone who has a close family member who was placed in "care".

MyTime Playgroups provide peer support for parents, grandparents and others caring for children with a disability, developmental delay or chronic medical condition.

Carers Victoria represents and provides support for family carers in Victoria.

My Child provides Information on different types of child care and how to get assistance with the cost of child care. This site also has links to other useful websites about children's health and wellbeing, parenting and family support services.

Foster Care Association Victoria (FCAV) provides information, support and advocacy to carers that ensure they can offer children and young people in their care a healing environment which assists the child or young person to reach their full potential.

Raising Children Network is a community organisation for grandparents who have primary care of their grandchild/ren.  They recognise that being a grandparent carer isn’t easy – and often isn’t even a choice. Many grandparents don’t expect a family crisis that leaves them to raise their grandchild.

Family Relationships is a government funded service providing care and support to people with a disability or severe medical condition, who are frail aged or are children who can’t live with their birth parents.

Grandparents As Parents Again (GAPA) Good general information, as well as support which is most applicable to families living in northern NSW.

Grandparents Raising Grand Children (GRG NSW) is a resource for grandparents, relatives and kinship carers providing information on services, networks, tips, stories and support available to carers.

Raising Grandchildren (QLD) provides resources and information to grandparents raising grandchild.

We need your help

Donate Now

Donations enable PCA Families to continue to deliver high quality programs in support of the home-based care and adoption community. Donations over $2.00 are tax-deductible.